UNION SYMPHONY SOCIETY, INC. (USSI) is a nonprofit arts organization whose mission is to entertain, educate, serve and inspire through music.
UNION SYMPHONY PROGRAMS
Union Symphony Orchestra (USO) provides at least 6 live concerts annually, including seasonal music, opera, and a free Pops series for the community. Our youth orchestra, junior string orchestra, Union Jazz, and youth chamber groups grant opportunity for the study and expression of concert music to on average nearly 150 families. Our ensembles support other nonprofit organizations and institutions in this community by providing chamber music at open community and/or private events.
USSI provides the key financial support to Union Symphony Orchestra, Union Symphony Youth Orchestra, Union Jazz, Union Symphony Prelude Junior String Orchestra, and Union Symphony Youth Chamber Players, including Vivace Strings and Allegro Strings.
USSI League is a subsidiary designed to promote the social and cultural life of Union Symphony and to assist in its fundraising efforts.
- Union Symphony Youth Orchestra (USYO) serves music students through age 21 years who have a minimum of two years formal music instruction. Students will attend music camp and regular rehearsals throughout the year where they will learn and play orchestral repertoire. Their season will include four concerts as well as venues for chamber music.
- Union Symphony Prelude Junior String Orchestra serves music students through the ninth grade who have a minimum of two years formal music instruction. Students will attend music camp and regular rehearsals throughout the year where they will learn and play orchestral repertoire.
- Union Symphony Youth Chamber Players (USCHAP) serves music students interested in the study and performance of chamber music. Students learn to communicate within the ensemble and to play without a conductor. Currently there are ensembles: Allegro Strings (Suzuki string method), Vivace Strings (chamber music), and Dorian Fiddles (Celtic & Traditional music).
- Benton Heights After School Strings Program for children Grades 1–4 places violins into the hands of young students. The students may also elect to participate in the Union Symphony Youth Chamber Players Allegro Strings Ensemble. Both ensembles are led by Beth Joy Fowler.
- Fred Ingold Memorial Music Festival is a county wide feature concert and program serving nearly 4,000 second grade students and their teachers. Union Symphony student musicians perform for this event.
- Union Jazz is an ensemble for youth and adults for the study and expression of improvisational jazz. Under the direction of Dennis Contreras, this ensemble includes players of traditional jazz instruments, including some members of the Union Symphony Youth Orchestra. This ensemble meets on select Sundays for their season running September through May.